Sarah Jean Makes Lands End Quilt

Things I never thought I would do - test quilt pattern. I actually didn't think I'd sew another quilt (or not many) when I moved in 2019. I actually have away close to 3,000 yards of cotton woven from my stash. I spent many years making quilts that I rarely kept. I made quilts for just about everyone I knew having a baby and donated regularly to Project Linus. I kept 2 quilts that I can think of, and I honestly think I gave them to Goodwill when we moved. They were very worn and I was no longer attached to them. When we moved, I kept a small stash of cotton wovens. The photo below is my fabirc pull for the Lands End Quilt by Sarah Jean Makes


The prints I chose are Art Gallery fabrics. I love the feel of fabric from Art Galley. It's so smooth and feels so good as I run my hand over it. I probably bought these fabric and kept them solely because they were Art Gallery. I had very few solids. I rarely buy solids as I am a pattern addict. I had to send Mike with a scrap of fabric to get me solids at Walmart. The white was some Kona solids I had, and Mike got me the yellow and pale green from Walmart. They are the Waverly brand.  


I took my time working on the Lands End Quilt and took some photos of my progress as I went. The photo above is all my fabric pieces. The photo below is me preparing to make the half square triangle blocks.


I have this handy "Quilt in a Day" Triangle Square Up ruler. I love this for half square triangles. I can square up the block on the fold easily. 


The Lands End Quilt is very beginner friendly. It is basically 9 blocks which are very  easy to assemble. The center block  is just a large square and is perfect for using a panel.


I laid my completed top on the bed to look at it and Nia couldn't resist getting under it. 


Felix helped me get photos of the completed quilt top. 



Felix was shocked when I told him to drape the quilt top over these limbs. He was worried about it getting dirty. I reminded him it was just fabric and could be washed. 


I ordered a 40 yard roll of batting online. When it was delivered, the delivery person just propped it up against the sidelight and didn't ring the bell. Mike walked to the entryway to get some candy from the cabinet there and saw this tall thing blocking the view and went to investigate. He had no idea what it was. It was well  packaged in lots of thick plastic and was all good. I had to get him to help me unwrap it and get it in my sewing closet. After it arrived it took me a bit to decide on a backing. I order some and didn't like any with it. I decided to use a muslin backing I had in my stash and I think it was the perfect choice. I watched the Marvelous Auntie M's YouTube video on pool noodle basting and it made this a breeze! Her video is in two parts. Part 1 and Part 2


I then went to do the quilting. I had this crazy idea in my mind to do just a bunch of random lines and zigzags and then fill in spots in a maze like pattern. I don't know what the heck I was thinking. It took me forever! But I really love how it turned out. But I don't think I'll ever do something this crazy again. 


Sarah Jean Makes does this thing on Instagram called Quilt Swirl Wednesday. So of course I had to do my first quilt swirl using my quilt in her pattern. 


Next up was the binding. I had purchased 3 yards (maybe a little more) of each of the art gallery prints I used for my Lands End Quilt. I had about 1/4 yard left of the background print and a yard of the print I used in the center. I used the leftover print to make my binding. 


Here's a close-up look at my binding. I sewed it to the back, then  sewed it down in the front using a decorative stitch. 


Nia seems to think that this quilt belongs to her. 


I had Felix help me again get some photos of the quilt fully completed. It was very warm today, near 80, and very windy. But we had a beautiful blue sky and I laid down on the ground and took photos while the wind blew the quilt through the air.  




Felix is holding the quilt up in this photo. I told him to squat down a bit so his feet and legs didn't show. 


Then I had him lay it across these limbs again. 


Testing a quilt pattern was much different than testing a pattern for apparel. It was a lot of fun and it really motivated me to get it done. I only had to complete the quilt top, but wanted to get it completely finished. 

The Lands End Quilt pattern is on sale through Friday. This is the first pattern released by Sarah Jean  Makes and I can't wait to see what she has planned next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment