Since we will be entering fall soon, I decided to make my dress with 3/4 length sleeves and have pockets. The fabric I used was purchased from Wherehouse Fabrics in Dallas, Texas. This was a piece I found on the remnant table for $5/yard. For the bodice lining, I used come off white knit I already had.
Here are all my pieces cut out.
The first step was to apply a fusible bias stay tape to several pieces. I did not have fusible bias tape, so I made do with regular. Here are my pieces with the fusible tape applied.
Now I had to gather the front pieces. I marked my pieces with a disappearing ink pen.
Then sewed a long stitch between the dots to gather the fabric. I used my ruler to make sure I had them gathered to 2" in length.
Then I sewed the 2 pieces together - no serging.
Next it was time to add the waist band to the front bodice. I laid the piece on top and pinned it.
Then serged it on. I repeated this on the lining.
Now I sewed the back pieces together - these were serged.
Then I sewed the waistband to the back.
Now I serged the front to the back at the shoulders for the lining and the outer fabric separately.
Now the two pieces were pinned together (right sides together) and stitched around the neckline.
Then the neckline was under-stitched so that the lining would roll inward so it would not be seen from the outside.My neckline turned right side out.
Now the side seams of each layer were serged. Then both layers of the armholes were basted together.
The sleeves were then serged down the sides.
Then the sleeves were pinned (right sides together) to the bodice and serged.
Then the sleeves were hemmed using my coverstitch.
Outside stitch. I already had this turquoise thread on my coverstitch and decided it went well with this fabric and used it.
Here is the backside.
Now it was time to work on the skirt. First the pocket facing was sewn onto to the skirt. It was also understitched.
Then the other part of the pocket was sewn on.
Then the pocket was basted at the top and sides of the skirt.
Now the back of the skirt was serged together.
Then the skirt front is serged to the skirt back.
The raw edges of the bodice are now basted.
Now the skirt is pinned to the bodice.
Now it is serged on.
The last step is to hem the skirt. First I ironed my hem. I tried the dress on and decided to do a 1" hem. I used my ruler to make sure my hem was even.
Then I used my coverstitch to hem it.
Here I am in my Davina Dress.
I love the pockets. They are a great size and are discrete.
If you enjoyed my blog, like my facebook page.