Zenith & Quasar Activewear Knit and Spit Up & Stilettos Legging Pattern Review and Spoxxy Upcycle

I recently purchased activewear knit from Zenith & Quasar. I love Zenith & Quasar's custom print knots and when Lilly started to offer stock active wear, I had to give it a try. It's 89% polyester and 11% spandex. It is so super soft and incredibly stretchy. And it's only $13/yard.  Buy it here. Right now Lilly is doing a special package where you get 1 yard each of violet, charcoal, and fushia for only $35 - and that includes shipping.

I knew I wanted to make some leggings with it and decided to try a free pattern from Spit Up & Stilettos. These are the Matilda Legging and you can find them here.

I decided to make the largest size of the Matilda Leggings Pattern. You can easily get a pair from a yard of knit.


Since I was sewing leggings, I put a wooly nylon in the loopers of my serger. The wooly nylon has more stretch and will hold us better on the leggings.


The first step is to sew the inseam of the legs.


Then you put one leg inside the other with right sides together.


Now sew them from the front to the back.


And turn them right side out.


Now make the waist band. Sew the ends together.


Fold it in half and pin it to the waist.


Sew it on.


Normally, I would hem the pants, but decided to wait until after I tried them on.

Now I needed a top to go with my leggings. I decided to make a Stitch Upon a Time Spoxxy. I love this pattern - it's a quick sew and it's really comfortable. Buy the pattern here. I had bought some t-shirts at the thrift store specifically to make them into Spoxxys. So I found one that had some purple colors and decided to use it.

First I cut my t-shirt up the back and ironed it.


Then I folded it in half attempting to center the image. Notice my shirt is not tall enough for the pattern. That's okay.


I cut my shirt and measured the distance I was short. It was 3".


Now I needed to cut the back yoke and add those 3" to it. So after putting the yoke down, I placed the front piece with the strap end up to the yoke and placed my measuring tape so I could see where the 3" would be at. Then I cut it out.


Now I was ready to sew. First the back piece was gathered and sewn to yoke.


Then I sewed the front to the back at the shoulders. The back yoke will extend to the front since the front was short, but I think it looks fine like this.


The sides are sewn.


Now to add the neck and arm bands.


Here I am in my new outfit.





I will say that if I was going to wear these working out, I would make a smaller size. Since there isn't any elastic in the waist and the waist is loose since I made mine bigger than I needed. I also did not shorten the legs when I cut them, and the length is barely long enough for me.  So if you are taller than 5', definitely add a few inches to the length. As it is, I'm not going to hem mine. I like them the length they are. I'd make the Matilda leggings again, but I think I would make some adjustments to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment