Earth Day inspired art quilt using upcycled materials and craft items

The following post is by TJ Wright...



Inspire, create, and celebrate earth day with a sustainable designed art quilt by utilizing recycled materials and items found in nature!

How and why, I was inspired to design a tutorial for quilters to create an earth day art quilt using upcycled materials.

While we celebrate sustainable quilt-making techniques, it's essential to acknowledge our environmental impact and find ways to reduce it. Sustainable quilt-making techniques provide an excellent opportunity to create beautiful and functional pieces while minimizing the impact on the planet. These techniques include using sustainable materials such as organic cotton or linen, upcycling old clothing, and reducing waste during the quilting process. By using sustainable quilt-making techniques, we can help reduce the amount of textile waste sent to landfills and minimize the carbon footprint of our craft. So, let's celebrate by engaging in sustainable quilt-making practices and demonstrating our commitment to a healthier planet.

If you are a quilter for any length of time you undoubtedly have scraps of fabric and bits of batting hanging around? This quilt project is a great way to repurpose, reuse and upcycle. I was asked by an art quilt collector to create a piece using cloth they had collected from India and items they had found on adventures with their family. What a better way of honoring mother earth and raising awareness to repurpose your treasures.


Design and craft an earth day inspired art quilt. This is a great opportunity to upcycle, reuse, and recycle scrap fabric.

Get started with your inspirational quilting journey by repurposed batting and (3)- 12' X 12" pieces of backing fabric from your stash for the foundation. No need to patchwork piece the top, cut the fabrics into ragged strips and layered them over each other to create the top, covering all of the batting, you will have a raw edge effect. One of my favorite techniques is to combine and introduce different shades tulle and mesh for more texture over the top of the fabrics, get creative by adding multiple layers of tulle and mesh. Using fork pins, or pins you have on hand, pin all the layers of your quilt in place.


Thread your sewing machine with decorative contrasting thread to quilt all the layers together, I use a walking foot to create a straight-line, matchstick pattern or free-motion foot to create a meandering organic quilting. Get creative, this is a perfect time to practice with your thread choices and quilting techniques, you will applique found objects and small pieces so you can easily conceal quilting mishaps. At this point trim your quilt to 10" x 10" for the finished size. Use a zig zag or decorative edge stitch to finish all the edges of your pieces.


Applique and collage upcycled treasure and trash together to create a genius earth day crafted quilt.

Create something new with leftover old items and materials that would be forgotten. Making something a lovely masterpiece is easy to diy, practice artistic hand stitching using embroidery thread, yarns and twine. Using hands-on visible mended method is a spectacular way to embellish and applique found items to your quilt. 

The ocean theme art quilt that is photographed here is a wonderful tribute to the memories for my client to hang and enjoy in their home for years to come. You can see how you can make this project your own to share with family and friends. It all starts with your own creativity.

About: In the beginning I started quilting to continue to learn new sewing skills and challenge myself. I was taken with all the beautiful fabrics and the creativity around quilting and felt it was the perfect match for me. I started by taking a quilting class at a local quilt shop where I learned the basics. Then I continued to build my skills on my own. I enjoy making quilts for conventional reasons, but I really love art quilting and expressing my quilting voice. My hope is to inspire others to do the same, so follow along and quilt with me. You can find me at www.tjwrightquilts.com or follow me @tjwrightquilts on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.





1 comment:

  1. I was today years old when I knew you had a blog! Aunt Erma.

    ReplyDelete