Earth Day Reusable Bags

We use reusable bags when we can. I try to keep a stash of them in my car for trips to the grocery store or other shops. But we do run out of them and I forget to restock the car.   Many of the bags we use are some that I have made. I love a big oversized bag that can  hold a lot of groceries. 


When I saw this fabric by B0rWear on Spoonflower,  I knew it needed to become a reusable bag. I swear, plastic  bags are the bane of my existence and I loathe them. Especially when I see them flying  in the wind like these are picture on the fabric. So I thought it made cute and ironic reusable bags. 


I don't have a specific pattern that I use for these. After I made a few following various patterns, I understood the construction process and started just doing them my own way and with my own measurements. I found that the patterns available online often make a bag that is the same size as your traditional plastic grocery bag, and I wanted mine bigger.   I have made all sizes and have a few extra large ones for using for Sam's Club purchases. 


Reusable bags are easy to make. Below are a few resources for free patterns to inspire you.


Making reusable bags is great for using up fabric that you may not love anymore or maybe it has flaws or stains. No one really cares what your reusable grocery bags  look like. Using a cloth bag is so much sturdier and you won't have to worry about the plastic bag ripping and tearing as you carry your groceries. Most importantly, you won't be using a plastic bag!

I hope you are enjoying all the blogs on  ecofriendly sewing.  There are many more planned. If you have any feedback or questions, please leave me a comment. Thanks!






No comments:

Post a Comment