Making Reusable Paper Products with Flannel

Single use paper products have become a part of everyday life. What would we do without toilet paper or  paper towels?

Mt family has used cloth napkins for at least 20 years. I make our napkins with a layer of flannel and a layer of quilting cotton.  I have made them with a double layer of flannel.  
They are used not only fir wiping our hands and mouths at dinner, but also get used to wipe up spills and messes.  They are simply serged on the edges and I like to keep them handy in a basket. 

Old flannel napkins and scrap flannel often ends up with our cleaning supplies. 

During the beginning of the pandemic when toilet paper was scarce, I made reusable wipes. I continue to use these 3 years later. I only use these for after urinating.  It really does cut down on how much toilet paper I use 

These can be made with scrap flannel. I serged the edges. These are double ply, but single ply would work just as well. Mine are cut close to an 8" square. They are not all exactly the same size as I was using scraps. 



Soon after I began using the washable wipes, I decided to make reusable tissues. With a household of allergy sufferers,  we could go through a lot of kleenex.  As we finished off the boxes of kleenex we had on hand, I saved the boxes and decoupage them to make them sturdy. I then found a dark flannel and cut my reusable tissues to 9" by 8" so they would fit inside the box folded in half.  They are serged around the edges and are single ply. 

My husband requested that he have some that were bigger and 2ply. He keeps his in a stack on his nightstand.  We have found these to be more absorbent and softer than traditional tissues. No more raw red noses when you have a cold with cloth tissues.

Everything is washed regularly on a sanitizing cycle in our washing machine and dried on high heat. Flannel lasts a long time and makes an excellent replacement for paper products.  

No comments:

Post a Comment