Twilight Garden Flannel Quilt

I was sent the Twilight Garden collection by Mary Jane Carey of Holly Hill Quilt Designs to sew up for Henry Glass Fabrics. This collection is printed on a two ply flannel and its oh so cozy.


I will admit that these colors are not my favorites. While I do love the dark plum color, I'm just not a fan of pastel colors. I struggled to decide on a quilt pattern to make and looked through my collection to find one I had not yet made. 


I selected the Melody Quilt pattern by Kitchen Table Quilting as I thought I would love the scrappy version with these fabrics. 


Unfortunately, I ended up not liking the darker plum sticking out so much more than all the lighter fabrics. I struggled with an arrangement of blocks that I felt was pleasing to the eye. I finally settled on orienting all the darker blocks in the same direction to give a visual flow. 


I feel like the lighter fabrics just get lost in the design and it was very hard to photograph to get the darker fabrics not looking too dark and not washing out the lighter designs. 


I backed the quilt with the leftover pieces of fabric and I used a cotton/poly batting when quilting it on my longarm. The seams on this quilt ended up being very bulky (the flannel back and batting did not help). My longarm would not go over them easily - I checked this before quilting. To combat the thickness, I decided to use the "A Wave in the Sand" pantograph from My Creative Stitches. This pantograph come in 3 widths and I selected the shortest width, then upscaled it on my Ruby Butler to make the lines farther apart. This worked out great and my quilt has such a great texture from the quilting.  


This quilt is probably the snuggliest and coziest quilt I have ever made. The flannel feels so good and it has a nice heft to it with the batting and a flannel back. 

Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!


1 comment:

  1. Your quilt is lovely in spite of all the rather insipid colors you had to use. I like the quilting; it would be interesting to see it used in more quilts.

    ReplyDelete