Itch to Stitch Irena - Perfect for Fall

Kennis Wong of Itch to Stitch drafts some of my most favorite patterns. This one is the Irena and was the perfect choice to use as I get my wardrobe ready for fall.

The Irena is a cozy, casual top that can be made fitted in a jersey knit, or more relaxed with a sweater knit. The Irena is intended to be worn over another item of clothing, such as a cami, t-shirt, or even a fitted button up work great.

I tend to grade my Irena out to make it a little looser around my belly and just slightly loose at my hips.

The pattern may look intimidating, but Kennis's instructions and diagrams are wonderful and make this pattern go together perfectly. Plus this one doesn't require any hemming or top stitching - can't get easier than that!

Here are all my pieces. For this version, I made the body using a ponte de roma knit I purchased from Steve at Super Textiles in the Dallas Fabric District for about $3/yard. For the neck I used a strike-off from Star Dust and Moon Beam from their current preorder. The Preorder is open until September 15th.


First the front and back are sewn together at the shoulders. The seam is then pressed to the front.


These collar pieces are then reinforced in the corner.


Then you clip to the stitches, but not through.


Place the 2 pieces right sides together and sew them together. Then press the seam allowance to one side.


Now attach the back neck piece to the front neckbands. Press the seams to the back.


Now fold the neck band in half and press it.


Reinforce the corners on the top and clip to the stitches, but not through.


Line up the marks on the neck band with the body. Pin in place and stitch all the way around. Do this on a sewing machine. We can finished the edges with a serger later.


Now overlap the neck bands and line it up with the bottom piece and stitch across


Fold it right side out and press.


You can then go round the neck band with a serger to give it a clean and finished edge.


Now sew on the sleeves.


Then I got excited and forgot to photograph the rest. You sew the side seams and add the bands to the sleeve and bottom. That part goes very quick.

Here I am in my finished top.



I love the neckline. I'm wearing a black cami under the Irena.



I then made another with a strike-off from Made Whimsy. This adorable fall turkey and zig zag print will be available for preorder on September 6th. This is going to be the perfect top to wear this fall.


This one is made from cotton lycra jersey, and has french terry for the bands.



If you enjoyed my blog - follow me on Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment