Riki Prints - HalloDayGivingMas Strike Offs

Riki Prints is covering all the fall and winter holidays with their current round of custom fabric. They are calling it ...

HalloDayGivingMas

You can order Riki Prints custom fabric and buy retail of previous rounds online at www.rikipediawear.com/

I sewed up 2 prints from this round. Cats n' Hats - a whimsical print of black cats, witches hats, and candles to celebrate Halloween and Madre Mia - a religious themed print of the Virgin Mary (Our Lady of Guadalupe) in honor of Dia de la Virgen de Guadalupe on December 12th. 

First - I started off with Cats n' Hats. For this print, I decided to use a free pattern I found online. It is from dixiediy.com/. The pattern is the Portia Top and can be found here - portia-top.pdf. This is a pdf pattern, but there are not a ton of pages. The pattern is for sizes XS to XL. 


Here are all my pieces cut out.


Here is a close up of the Cats n' Hats.


Unfortunately I did not take photos as I sewed. I will do another blog post on this pattern in the future. I really like it, but I want to make it a little longer and I think I want to make the sleeves into a long sleeve or maybe 3/4 length dolman. So I will work out my tweaks to the pattern and make it again and go through all the details.

Here I am in my finished shirt.





Next I sewed up Madre Mia. I made this into a top for my 93 year old grandmother.  For this one I used a pattern I have had a long time and have been wanting to make for myself. It's a Simplicity threads magazine collection pattern #3625. It is intended for woven fabrics, so I modified it for this knit. The pattern calls for a lot of gathers, I cut my pieces to have some gathers, but kept them minimal.


This print is so vibrant and beautiful.


Here are all my pieces cut out.


I did not get step by step photos for this one either. I plan on making myself a top with this pattern very soon and will do a more detailed post at that time.

Here I am in the top. I plan on making some modifications to it before giving it to my grandmother. My grandmother likes all her tops to be very frilly. She loves lace and trim. So I need to find the perfect trim to put on this before I give it to here. I'm also thinking that I'll add a ribbon tie at the neck.  I'll see if I can get her to model it when I give it to her.




Thanks for looking. If you want to be notified of new blog posts, like my Facebook page www.facebook.com/capturecraftcook/

5 comments:

  1. Wow, those shirts look awesome. I love the fabric and the color combos you used on both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to making another portia top.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Did you use all knit for the simplicity pattern? Both tops turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nina - I used all knits for both tops. The Madre Mia that I made with the Simplicity pattern - the pink is a poly knit with only 2 way stretch. I needed to use something that was semi stable so it wouldn't stretch too much.

      Delete