Origins Quilt Pattern from Lifting Limits Quilting

I always love testing for Carrie at Lifting Limits Quilting. When I signed up to test the Origins Quilt, I knew I wanted to use my Anna Maria Horner fabric stash and pulled out a bunch of prints and got started. I made my blocks and put them up on my design wall and thought to myself - these do not go together. So what do I do, I separated out my blocks into two sets, and made more blocks so that I could make two quilts!


I really loved the simplicity of the Origins Quilt pattern. It uses fat quarters with very  little waste. The blocks go together quickly. I finished my two quilts in very little time. 


I considered this quilt my "dark" quilt. I used darker shades of purple, green, and blue in this one. 


I called this quilt my "light" quilt. I picked more vibrant and lighter colors. 


I really love how both my quilts came out!


They are each very unique.



Then I got an idea. I wanted to do a big flower applique on each one. When I told my friend Sharon (Sweet Mama Life) when she visited me one day, and I showed her the quilts, she thought it would be too much. I had thought of doing a really big applique of lots of flowers that made a trail up one side of the quilt. After I got the flowers cut out, I realized Sharon was kind of right - they were a bit over powering.  So I kept the appliques a bit smaller. Really - these are smaller than I planned. 


The one below is actually up side down. I did one larger and one smaller applique on it. These photos were taken in my hometown of Wichita Falls, TX. My first job out of college was at the River Road Waste Water Treatment Plant. I went on to work almost 10 year with the City of Wichita Falls with most of that time spent as the Laboratory Supervisor of the Water Quality Laboratory. When my old boss posted photos of this lift station after a local artist (Aaron Soto) painted murals on each  side, I knew I had to go see it when I was there for the Holidays.  When I pulled up, I realized it was the perfect back  drop for taking some final photos of my Origins Quilts. It's also fitting as it's also symbolic of my career origin. 


If you don't know what a lift station is, well - it moves wastewater by pumping it up so it can continue to be gravity fed to the wastewater treatment plant. They can be stinky places if not maintained, but if maintained, you won't ever notice them. This one sits along a major thoroughfare near a park and doesn't smell at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment