See Kate Sew - Gwen Top or Dress with Zenith & Quasar "Like a Girl"








I've blogged a ton about fabric from Zenith & Quasar - I just love their fabric and Lilly Himrod is just awesome! She designed a round with a powerful message about girls and science - You can do it all, and do it "like a girl". So when it came time to sew strike-off's, I insisted that Lilly let me make her something. Lilly still has this fabric in stock and you should see all the great creations on the Facebook page.




I really wanted to highlight the panel size and decided to make Lilly the Gwen Top by See Kate Sew that was part of the Unbiased Collection from Pattern Anthology. I made the faux raglan version and added my own flair to the back. See Kate Sew now has a Facebook group.

These are my pieces all cut out.




The first step was to add the faux raglan shoulders to the front piece. 



Then I topstitched the seam down with my coverstitch.



I wanted to use more of the photo collage print than just on the front shoulders, so I decided to add an upper bodice piece to the back to match the front curved pieces on the front of the shirt. To do this I drew a curve free handed on the back piece and then cut it.





When I cut the fabric, I added a 1/4" for a seam allowance. Then I sewed the upper piece to the lower piece.




I then topstitched the seam on my coverstitch.




Then I sewed the front and back together at the shoulders.




Then I added the neck band.




I then topstitched the seam down with my coverstitch.



Then it was time to sew the side seams.




Then hem the sleeves with my coverstitch.




Then hem the bottom with my coverstitch.




Finished!



















I love how this top turned out.  I'll be making myself one soon with a panel I purchased from the "like a girl" round. I actually bought 3 panels. There were 8 women highlighted and it was so hard to choose just one.

No comments:

Post a Comment