Itch to Stitch Uvita Top

Kennis Wong of Itch to Stitch has a Christmas/Hanukkah gift for everyone! It's a free pattern that is quick and easy. It's also a great scrap buster! It's simple design is a versatile staple for your wardrobe.

Check out the Uvita top! Named after Uvita Beach in Costa Rica. Kennis often names her patterns after locations in Costa Rica where she resides. They always make me long for a tropical vacation.


Since this pattern is named after a beach, it has a bit of a nautical design with a boat neck, dropped shoulders, and loose fit. This top would be perfect for a day at the beach or for working in an office.


I really love this version that I made using a poly rayon jersey I picked up at Wherehouse fabric. I loved the color and the pattern, but it was designed in large squares (like scarves). I'd been stumped on what I could make with it. Many patterns I had tried laying out on it, would have be end up with lines from the square boards in weird places. The Uvita fit into those squares perfectly and I think it makes for an interesting top.


The first Uvita I made was with some scraps I had. My sewing room has a closet that I use to store all my "scraps". For me, anything less than a yard is a scrap. All my 1 yard and bigger pieces are neatly folded and stored within the shelving units of my sewing room. I often end up with 3/4 yard and 1/2 yard pieces when I finish a project. The Uvita is perfect for these pieces. The body easily fits onto a 3/4 yard piece. I am short with short arms, so I shortened the sleeves by 1.5". This allows them to fit onto a 22" wide piece of fabric.


My stripes are from the Dallas fabric district and apparently were flawed in the knitting process as the stripes are really wavy. No amount of ironing could get them to be perfectly smooth. I used a scrap of athletic brushed poly from Zenith & Quasar for the sleeves. I love this print and color combination and will wear this top with pride - despite the wonky stripes.


This is a wonderful top that is surely to be a favorite in any wardrobe. You will love the ease of wear and ease to make. Grab the Uvita - for free, and all other patterns are on sale for 20% off with the code "bye2017". Check out all the other tester's photos  HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment