Itch to Stitch Newport Top

I always enjoy testing patterns for Kennis Wong of Itch to Stitch. I just finished testing the Newport Top. I love it! You will probably see me wearing many of these - as I made a total of 3 during the testing process - and I still want to make some more!

The Newport Top has a wide boat neck that features an overlapping shoulder. The top has a boxy fit with a subtle high-low hem. It can be made with a variety of fabrics and fabric choice will influence the fit and look of the finished top. The top has 2 different sleeves - a fluted 3/4 length sleeve, and a long straight sleeve.

I think my favorite one, is this one that I made with a striped sweater knit.


These photos were taken at the Allen Station Park in Allen, Texas. The park includes a section of railroad and a bridge from 1910 that has been out of service for many years. The city recently constructed a walking path to the train tracks and have educational signage about the station.


The photo below shows the subtle high-low hem.


I also made a Newport Top using a cotton lycra knit from Pink Zeppelin Fabrics


The cotton lycra knit does give the Newport Top a stiffer silhouette.


Here's a closer look at the overlap at the neckline.


I normally don't share earlier versions, but this one is really close to the final fit. I normally do not wear stripes or pink - but I ended up really loving this one on me. This is a lightweight poly jersey I bought for $1/yard in the fabric district. 



This photo shows you the back of the shirt. In the background you see a waterfall. That is the water of the Cottonwood Creek going over the 1874 stone dam. This bridge in front of the dam is a new addition to the park and gives a spectacular view of the dam and the 1910 train tracks and bridge in the distance.


My friend Sharon was also a tester of the Newport Top. Catch her blog - Sweet Mama Sharon for her photos. We had to do a few photos together in our Newport Tops.




Testing a pattern is always more fun when you have a friend to share the experience with.



No comments:

Post a Comment