Needle Down Chin Up Retrogradient Quilt

 I recently tested the Retrogradient Quilt Pattern from Hollie of Needle Down Chin Up. This is Hollie's first quilt pattern and it is so good. First off - if you are a geologist, you might recognize the name. Hollie is a geologist and finds her inspiration from geology and nature. Being a third geologist myself, I really appreciated that and have a fondness for Hollie. She's my kind of people.


I told myself to slow down on tests as we get into fall. But I really loved this design and told myself - it's just half square triangles and some rectangles. I'm good. I'll be done in no time if I just make the baby size. Let me say - it is a quick sew! I spent way more time picking out what fabrics to use than I did actually sewing. 


I show the quilt with it being wider than taller because this is the order the design is shown in the pattern. If you see the pattern listing you will see a larger quilt and see the full beauty of the pattern when it is repeated multiple times. Not that the baby quilt size isn't striking, it's just when you see it in a larger scale your jaw will drop. 


Photography is my first love and I have been hoarding camera prints forever. I have so many in my stash and almost used a colorful version first, but felt like the scale was too large. I went with this vintage monochrome design as it was the smallest scale I had in my stash. I also had this sool photo film print that looked really good with it. These fabrics were from two different manufacturers. I recall one being from Moda, but don't remember which one now or who the other one was from. 


A week or two after taking these photos on my phone, my phone suffered a severe injury that left part of the screen inoperable most of the time. It was too early for me to upgrade so I limped along not being able to do much on my phone. Thankfully I had already backed up my photos to a private album on Facebook and on Flickr. I am paranoid about losing images and have auto-backups run in the background of my phone. 



I collect all sorts of things and have my collections interspersed throughout my home. One of my favorite collections is my collection of vintage cameras. Some once belonged to family members which makes them very special to me. I took two down from the shelves where I have some on display in my sewing/craft room to use as props. 


I also had my husband hold the quilt up for me so it was more vertical in its presentation for a photo. Since I made the baby sized, my thought was to use it as a lap quilt. One tested added a border to hers to make it slightly larger and I am tempted to do the same. But I also don't like something to big to use as a lap quilt while I am working from home because it never fails that I run over it with my chair as I move about. I did get a solid black for the backing and I bought a wool blend batting that I think will make it extra cozy. I've never used a wool blend batting before and might need to read up on them a bit before I decide to use it or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment