Minerva Core Range Plush Faux Fur Quilted Blanket

I have a faux fur blanket that I bought at a store many years ago. My family loves it and my son regularly steals it from my bed in the winter. When I saw this Minerva Core Range Plush Faux Fur, it reminded me of that blanket and I thought I would try to make my own version. 


This faux fur is very plush and heavy. It is so silky soft. It did not shed much as I quilted it. After quilting I did run it through the dryer with cool air to fluff it up.


To make this blanket I used a 108" wide quilt back that I loaded onto my longarm frame. The backing I used is a 108" wide brown agate print from Jo-Ann. They call it brown, but it's more of a Plum in my opinion. I then added a layer of cotton batting. I probably could have skipped the batting or used flannel, but I was going for maximum warmth and coziness. 


Then I "floated" the fur on top and just had to pick out my quilting pantograph. I did not want to do very dense quilting, but I also wanted the quilting to add some visual interest. I decided to go with a floral meander that I scaled up to be large. 



After it was quilted, I carefully cut off the excess batting and backing while I held the fur to the side. It was impossible to avoid cutting some fur and that was the messy part. I then serged the sides to give them a clean finish. 


I then added a binding. I can't wait for the cooler weather to arrive so I can snuggle under this blanket. Garfield and the other cats are already enjoying it.




Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!


No comments:

Post a Comment